Meatballs with Marinara
This recipe is so good and very simple to make. The marinara sauce takes about 10 minutes to prepare and the meatballs can be made in the time the sauce is simmering. Entire meal can be on the table in 45 minutes or less.
For the Marinara Sauce:
- 28 ounce can Fire Roasted Crushed tomatoes
- 20 leaves basil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, butter or ghee
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a blender, puree crushed tomatoes and basil. Set aside
- In medium-large pot, melt oil (butter or ghee) on medium-high heat, then add onions and garlic, sautéing until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, red pepper and oregano and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 20 minutes while preparing meatballs.
For the Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 10 basil leaves, julienned
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. butter (or fat of choice)
- Freshly grated parmesan, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and use hands to thoroughly mix together.
- Using a tablespoon, form mixture into balls. Set aside.
- Heat butter in large frying pan over medium heat. Swirl to coat pan. Brown half of the meatballs, turning once and reducing heat if they brown too fast, 5-8 minutes. Transfer to simmering pot of marinara sauce.
- Repeat with remaining meatballs.
- Cover sauce pot and simmer meatballs with marinara for additional 20 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice pasta or by itself with a salad.