Pesto, Goat Cheese & Sundried Tomato Torta
adapted from Stop and Smell the Rosemary
- 1 cup coursely chopped basil, loosely packed
- 1 cup coursely chopped fresh spinach, loosely packed
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ground pepper
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz. goat cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, patted dry and minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pine nuts
- Chop basil, garlic and spinach in a food processor fitted with the "S" blade. While machine is running, gradually add olive oil through the feed tube. Add parmesan and process until almost smooth. Season with pepper and set aside.
- Blend cream cheese and goat cheese in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Line a 3-cup bowl with plastic wrap, leaving a 4 inch overhang. Place 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture into the bowl, pressing down and evenly distributing around the base of the bowl.
- Spread half the basil mixture over cheese. Sprinkle with half of the sundried tomatoes and half the nuts. Mold another 1/3 cheese mixture to place on top of the nuts. Repeat layers with remaining basil mixture, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts ending with last 1/3 of cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- 30 minutes prior to serving, remove plastic wrap from the top and invert onto serving dish. Decorate top with fresh herbs such as rosemary or parsley. Serve with crackers.