Southwest King Ranch Casserole
adapted from Whole Foods Cookbook
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken (I used organic & hormone free)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack, organic & hormone free
- 1 cup grated cheddar, organic & hormone free
- 2 cups bottled tomatillo sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped green chilies, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large saute' pan.
- Add the onions, cook for 2-3 minutes then add garlic, paprika, cumin, black pepper and salt.
- Add the chicken to heat through. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheeses.
- On the bottom of an 8x8 pan, spread 1 cup of the tomatillo sauce. Top with 4 tortillas, overlapping as necessary. Spread half the sour cream over the tortillas. Add 1/2 cup of remaining tomatillo sauce, 1 1/2 cup of chicken filling, 1 cup of cheese mixture and 1/2 of the green chilies.
- Top with 4 more tortillas, the remaining sour cream, tomatillo sauce and chicken filling, 1 cup of the cheese mixture and remaining green chilies. End with 1 cup of cheese mixture spread on top.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until bubbly on top.
- Serve with guacamole and a salad.