- Whole Wheat pie crust, baked (or make your own)
- 1 cup sucanat (or sugar)
- 3 tbsp. cocoa
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 6 tbsp. agave (or sugar)
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix sugar, cocoa & flour in a saucepan; add oil.
- Stir in milk and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until thick. Allow to boil 1-2 minutes then remove from heat.
- Add egg yolks to the chocolate mixture one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add vanilla and cool before putting into baked pie shell.
- Beat egg whites until frothy; add cream of tartar.
- Continue beating at medium-high speed, slowly adding agave until stiff, soft peaks form.
- Spread meringue atop the pie mixture and bake for 10-15 minutes.