We all know that greens are "good for us", but is that a compelling enough reason to eat them? In this culture, it seems that they're just not alluring enough for most people. They don't come in beautiful boxes or sexy packages with celebrity endorsements. It appears that they lie in the produce aisle just aching for someone to choose them. I imagine them after hours, coming to life like the discarded characters in Toy Story 3 dreaming of being wanted and desired by the people who callously walk by and turn their noses up at them as if they're nothing. They're desperate to help people remember what they were taught as young children about their value and health promoting benefits...but, to no avail.
Ok...Ok..., so that's a little extreme. But in all seriousness, green vegetables are the foods most commonly missing in our diets today yet they are essential in establishing good, strong health. Oh how they will love you, let me count the ways:
- They help strengthen your blood and respiratory system by supplying a rich supply of antioxidants that supply your blood with oxygen.
- They are nutritional powerhouses providing high amounts of calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorous, zinc and Vitamins A, C, E and K.
- They are fiber rich and loaded with folic acid, chlorophyll and many other micro-nutrients and phytochemicals.
- They purify the blood by neutralizing acids.
- They aid in cancer prevention.
- They improve circulation.
- They strengthen the immune system.
- They promote healthy intestinal flora (bacteria, the good kind!)
- They improve liver, gall bladder and kidney function.
- They improve digestion.
There are so many great greens to choose from so there's no possibility that you will ever get bored. There are a variety of ways to prepare them from steaming, sauteing or eating them raw. You can even mix them up in a blender with fruits like bananas and blueberries and drink them in a smoothie.
All of this to say, greens are good and good for you. If you want to experience amazing health and vitality, add greens into your daily routine. If you already have greens in your daily routine, add more! They truly are magical....