and receive a VIP Pass for a 10-Day Detox

CLICK HERE for FREE 10-Day Detox

I Second that Emotion

As with any change, emotions come into play. And, eating can be emotional - we all have our favorite foods and there are memories and emotions tied to those foods.  My husband is very low maintenence and rarely asks anything of anyone. But, there is an exception: the week of his birthday, he asks me to cook all of his favorite foods.  He makes a 7 day list with requests ranging from a Filet to Chicken Fried Chicken with mashed potatoes and cream gravy.  This is definitely the exception, not the rule these days and I do it in a healthier way than I did years ago when we first married by serving a hearty salad at each meal and by using organic meats, whole wheat flour, cage-free eggs, hormone free milk, etc.  By doing this, he gets his emotional 'fix' from his favorite foods, he feels loved and celebrated and he doesn't feel deprived.

 

When preparing these foods for my family, there are emotions I experience as well.  I know that even though I'm choosing to prepare the foods in a cleaner way, it's still a lot of animal products, high-fat, enzyme deficient foods.  I don't believe any of those things promote good health but there's a fine line and a balance that has to be met.  What I've heard time and again and agree with whole-heartedly is that it's not what you do 5% of the time that matters but what you do the other 95% of the time.  So, a little deviation from the 'perfect' diet is alright as long as you get right back on track.

 

Emotions are a very powerful creature; when you're hungry and don't know what 'healthy' thing to eat, it can be very difficult to make a good choice.  One thing I've learned to do is drink an 8 ounce glass of water to see if that staves off the hunger a little bit.  Many times dehydration is the culprit which is often mistaken for hunger.  If it is true hunger though, at least I have given myself some time to make a better food choice.